I see a lot of people afraid to speak or people retracting their opinions from social media because of potential ramifications or they simply want to get away from it all. That’s too bad. No matter what side you are on, you need to express yourself. There will always be the few that focus on the wrong things, but that only means we need more people to focus on the right things (issues at hand–not at people or the few that take things to the extreme). People are too quick to judge and too quick to write others off because they can’t be persuaded to change their mind. This is not a time to convert people. This is a time to listen.
For perspective, here are some positive things I’m seeing since more people have spoken up and why we need to continue:
- More people are speaking up, meaning more people are being heard
- More integration of different views in daily media, means people are being heard
- Steps to correct swift and thoughtless legislation, in play and happening…e.g. immigrants with green cards no longer need waivers to get back into the country
- More money is going to those things that matter most to people, ACLU, Planned Parenthood, etc.
- Businesses are being exposed for their biased corporate contributions that boost one political side more than the other…since when do Corporations decide for the American People?
- Social Media is making it faster and easier to spread news (opinions, actual news, fake news, jokes, etc), which is a good thing. We don’t have to tolerate Hate. We shouldn’t promote that differing opinions equal hate, either. Speaking out is a right and a privilege and it’s our right to agree or disagree. If we are to unite, we must listen to all sides and that means cutting through the feelings of what is going on and tackling the issues at hand. Ask the hard questions. There are so many people on social media, we should be welcome to explore the answers.
- Politics are now at the forefront of people’s minds. This is good. Is it uncomfortable, easy to judge a person, be biased, closed minded, single minded, etc. Yes, it is. But, we have this unique opportunity for the first time in History to really see what happens behind the curtains of our government and make it so that it works for us again. This can only happen if people don’t get complacent and expect their silence or retraction of their voice to return us to a politically free time. If you have ever traveled to Europe and engaged in conversation with a local, they will easily talk about politics and know what is going on in their country and with their neighbors, but here? We shy away from it. Why? It’s the most influential part of our day to day life. It should be just as acceptable to express an opinion and share a political view because it resonates with someone as it is to share a meaningless picture of yet another rock climb. Silence and complacency lead to compliance and do nothing to make change.
- People of all beliefs are picking up the phone, calling their legislature and telling them what they think. This is good. The more people get involved, the more change can happen.
Use your voice. I for one, want to listen.
Disclaimer: WordPress may include ads, which I do not endorse, to various blogs following posts.